About the author: Stacey is a wellness coach, adventurer, teacher and is currently completing her studies in Registered Holistic Nutrition. You can visit her website at www.staceygreenliving.com or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/staceygliving
Holy crap! Where have I been!? The holidays, family and life seems to have kept me seriously busy for the past few weeks but I’m back and better than ever! Let’s bring in the new year right, shall we?
How many times have you made New Year’s resolutions? How many January 1st’s have started with your strong resolve to exercise, eat better, quit smoking and so on and so forth? This whole concept has always seemed a little ridiculous to me personally, I mean – what’s the difference between January 1st and May 18th? When you fully commit to making a change it shouldn’t matter the date. All this aside however, it is a brand new year and for lots of people – a fresh start. So with that spirit in mind, let’s look at some amazing ways you can live a healthier and happier life and also, see what’s in store for staceygreenliving this year! And let me tell you, there are some EXCITING things brewing!!
The thing about resolutions or “diets” is that we often set crazy unrealistic goals. “I’m going to give up sugar, dairy, meat, grains, sleeping, laughter and run 10km a day.” Come onnnnn! It’s never going to happen. If you’re deprived you’re going to be crabby and bitter and just end up falling off the wagon…hard! Small manageable goals are the way to go. Little by little you can achieve amazing results! I’m gonna give you some tips to help you on your way to greatness!
- Write your goals down. Writing them down gives them purpose and makes them a little more real. I’m a fan of post it notes and write myself messages all the time! I leave them in my cupboards, on my mirrors, anywhere and everywhere I’m going to be. I’m also a huge fan of lists and nothing gives me a greater sense of accomplishment than crossing something off of them.
Write New Years Blog.
- Schedule in your workouts. Make them like appointments that you absolutely cannot miss. If you treat working out with as much importance as say, a doctor’s appointment you’re much more likely to keep them. And speaking of exercise, DO IT. 30 mins 4-5 times a week will save your life. You’ll feel better and look better. Chose something you’re going to stick to. Maybe you’ve always wanted to take a dance class, or run a half-marathon – now is the perfect time to start.
- Try eating one more vegetarian meal a week. Cut back on meat and up your veggie intake. Once a week is completely doable and you may discover a great new meal that you just love! There are tons of great resources online – I like www.happyherbivore.com and www.crazysexylife.com. Both have awesome forums full of healthy deliciousness.
- Put down the remote. Watching less TV, even one less hour a day is a fantastic lifestyle change you can make. Imagine what you could do with your time! You could: exercise, read, write a blog, take a course, cook, clean and organize your home…so many opportunities! And really, is it going to make any difference to your life if you don’t find out who got sent home on the bachelor? For realzies. Treat TV as a treat, something you only do for 30 mins a day. Get outside, go for a walk, visit a friend – do something you love!
- Take a multivitamin. The average diet is severely lacking in vitamins and minerals. We don’t eat near enough fresh raw foods and are often deficient in many areas. Taking a multivitamin is a great way to ensure you have the nutrients you need. It’s kind of like an insurance policy. Make sure the one you’re taking doesn’t contain a lot of fillers, you can find these on the label. I take one called Platinum, they are giant and black and scary but great.
- Drink more water and give up caffeine. Water is wonderful and really the only liquid you need. Drink it. Do it. The next time you’re out and you’re ordering a drink, make it water. Want to flavour it? Add some lemon or lime slices or be adventurous and add some sliced cucumber. Whoa, now we’re talkin’ crazy!
So that’s it for me and my first post of 2012. I hope this year brings you everything you hope for and always remember – you can do whatever you like, there is no goal that is too big or unattainable as long as you’re willing to work for it. “Some people have reasons, and some people have results.” Marie Forleo. Be someone who has results.
Share some of your tips and goals here, on Facebook or on Twitter!